Search

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

We're Back

Over the past weekend we took a little trip to my mom's to celebrate her birthday. We had a good time, but I couldn't wait to get back to Gunther. LOL.

As we were driving home I was thinking about what all a pet, whether dog, cat, gold fish, etc brings into a persons life and the difference between what a pet meant to me when I was younger vs. now. I wonder how many dogs and cats or exotic animals are in rescues because it just wasn't the right time for that person to have the responsibilities that the animal brought. Having a pet is a two way street, it's not just about the human; training and working with the dog, but for me it's also about what that animal (pet) brings out in us. I know that when I was younger I would not have appreciated or understood a Great Dane's puppy-hood like I do know. As in everything in life there are seasons. I totally enjoyed the season of my life where I had my German Shepherds, the work, the training, the intensity. For some reason I always got Shepherds that were "little adults." They seemed to have skipped puppy hood and were always working. Now this season of the Great Dane is softer, gentle, relaxed and playful. Taking time to be with this puppy and working with him is so relaxing for me and almost therapeutic. I hope I have brought to Gunther's life as much as he has brought into mine.

No comments: