Search

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Too Busy

I've been slack in keeping up with my blogs lately. Things are going on and changes are being made and you wouldn't believe all the decisions I am having to make, BIG ONES. But, I decided over the weekend that I was going to get back to some "me and Gun-man time". So this is the start. LOL.

My daughter and I spent Sunday in Perry, GA. at the Great Dane Club of the Mid South's Spring Specialty. We had a great time. I was the photographer and Sara helped at the trophy table. Of course Ivan was there and came in 2nd in the 6-9 month dog group. It was wonderful being at the show, seeing all the Danes and being around Great Dane people. I always have a great time at dog shows. ;-)

Now for my soap box. I hope not to offend anyone, but I have to share something with you. If you have a Great Dane or are thinking about getting a Great Dane, it should go without saying that your Dane MUST LEARN that he or she is to have manners. And who is going to teach them their manners? YOU. As scary smart as Danes are, there is no reason why a Great Dane cannot learn how you want them to behave in your home. Now there are some exceptions, but I am talking about people who get their Dane from a breeder and bring it home at 8 - 12 weeks and then just let it raise its self. Come on people. If a little dog gets board and chews something up that is one thing, but you are talking about an animal that will grow to weigh over 100 pounds. I'm not even talking about cute little tricks, I am talking about self control, manners and what you want the dog to do or not do in your home. If you have not gotten your Dane yet, please think about this before you pick up your dog. To me your dogs training and behaviour is just as important as hit vet visits and what food you feed them. It's a package deal. Don't leave one area out, you are not only causing your self frustration but you are not doing your dog any favors. Your goal should be a well rounded Great Dane and that's up to you. Ok, I've said my piece and I'll now get off my soap box.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

As far as teaching danes manners - well said! My boy is still young, and doesn't understand that some people don't like to be drooled on (hehe) but I'm doing the best I can with him so that he will be welcome in any kind of company. Easier said than done, though. LOL.

TURBOchic said...

I don't have a dane, but I do have and American Pitbull Terrier and the same thing can be said for manners with any breed. If you own a dog, you must be resposible for it and teaching it manners are part of that responsibility. As I'm sure you know, not only is it good for you and your home, but dogs like to learn. They think it's fun! *Here, let me stand on your soap box with you.*

Mrs. Simonsays said...

OMG,
I can't believe I found someone else who has a blog about their great dane! Looking forward to reading and looking here...

What a beauty you have!

Denn